Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) received word 8/9/18 about the status of this state Assembly resolution, which supports the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons that WILPF supports through it's petition efforts, urging the US to sign and renounce nuclear weapons.
California residents can help by sending a letter (although the timing is close on this), email or calling the Public Safety Committee Members and your State Assembly member. The hearing for this important resolution is scheduled for August 14, so unless there's a change in the schedule, this issue is urgent. If you're not a CA resident, your statement of support will clue in CA Assembly members to the widespread support for such resolutions.
Here's brief information about the resolution:
It calls on our federal leaders to:
- Embrace the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
- Make nuclear disarmament the centerpiece of our national security policy
- Renounce first use (No first use (NFU) refers to a pledge or a policy by a nuclear power not to use nuclear weapons as a means of warfare unless first attacked by an adversary using nuclear weapons.)
- Take our nuclear weapons off of hair-trigger alert
- Cancel the plan to replace the entire arsenal with enhanced weapons
- Actively pursue a verifiable agreement among nuclear-armed states to eliminate their nuclear arsenals
Find your CA assembly person by going to this website
and then click on the link: Find your legislator by your address. Jot down their email and phone # (there may not be time to send a letter through the post office, but their address is given).
If you want to call the sponsors of the resolution, click on the link below the assembly link and look down the list for Chiu and Gloria - you'll see their phone numbers.
Thanks for doing this for the abolition of nuclear weapons!
Call us for assistance (650-326-1235 - Peninsula/Palo WILPF Group)
The August 14th hearing is not a final vote on the resolution; it is a hearing before the Assembly Public Safety Committee. But it must pass this hearing to proceed to adoption by the full Assembly. The members of that committee are
- Reginald Byron Jones-Sawyer, Sr. (Chair) D - 59th District
- Tom Lackey (Vice Chair) R - 36th District
- Wendy Carrillo D - 51st District
- Sydney Kamlager-Dove D - 54th District
- Kevin Kiley R - 06th District
- Bill Quirk D - 20th District
- Miguel Santiago D - 53rd District
You can find contact information for them in the second link described in #1. Although we do not know when (or even if) it will come to the floor for a full vote after the committee passes it, it's important that our state representatives start hearing from us soon and the time is "ripe" to also encourage the committee members to hear from the public, even out-of-state communication.
Thank you for helping California WILPFers support this resolution! Time is of the essence before the Tue. Aug. 14 preliminary hearing.