Hosts: Low Income Self-Help Center, California Partnership and CA4SSI
Co Hosts: Sacred Heart, SIREN, Community Homeless Alliance Ministry, Silicon Valley Independent Living Center and many others are Hosting May Revise Budget Actions across the state calling on Governor Jerry Brown renew his commitment to uphold the values of our state and communities!
Where: Sacred Heart Community Service 1381 South 1st Street San Jose, CA 95110
When: Wednesday, May 16th gather 10:30 a.m. and start 11:00 a.m.
2018 May Budget Revision Actions
HHS Network, California Partnership, and CA4SSI are Hosting May Revise Budget Actions across the state. We are calling on Governor Jerry Brown renew his commitment to uphold the values of our state and communities! This week Governor Brown will release the May Revision to his proposed 2018-19 State Budget. The May Revision will include updated revenue estimates on California’s large budget surplus. With the government reports of historic lows in unemployment and record highs in the stock market, will the 2018-19 budget be the one where California’s lawmakers decide that the bloated rainy day fund can finally rain a little on the over 20 percent of Californians who are living in poverty? We are calling on our representatives to end the unconstitutional money bail system in California that leaves tens of thousands of people languishing in jails each year before they are convicted of any crime because they cannot afford to get out of jail. Punishment of people for being poor must end.
Our diverse coalition of service providers, unions, non-profits, and community based organizations are coming together in unity and solidarity calling for greater investment in California’s health and human services to strengthen the safety net for marginalized and low-income communities. It is time for California to:
1. Reform its broken and unjust money bail system
2. Protect all immigrants by keeping their families together, safe, and healthy.
3. Repair the Social Safety Net and preserve recent healthcare which have reduced the number of uninsured to all-time lows.
4. Healthcare for All so Californians can stop paying more to die sooner than countries that have single-payer health care.
5. Defend Medi-cal, CalWORKS, CalFRESH, CalEITC, IHSS, Child Care and return the SSI supplemental.
(See event web page)